Thursday, November 26, 2009

Can I buy an converter for my american power strip and use it in china?

I mean can I plug a few things into that power strip without worrying about them frying? ie, computer, hair dryer, lamp?



Can I buy an converter for my american power strip and use it in china?

You can buy converters. I have one that I bought at WalMart that I've used several times in China. Voltage in China is 220V and the frequency is 50 Hz. As one of the other answers said, look at the device you want to use. If it says 120 - 220 or something like that you will be ok. For example, my Dell laptop supply works just fine with no converter. You will still need something to change your US style plug into the Chinese style plug. These normally come with the converter. The plugs in China and the plugs in Hong Kong are different even though both of them are 220V systems.



One other thing to think about is power. Those converters are usually not rated for very much power so you will probably be limited to one device at a time. If you are staying in a hotel, they should furnish a hair dryer. Be very careful with anything that heats (hair dryer, iron, etc). They can draw a lot of power and might overload your converter.



One last thing - I've been to China many times and each time I've carried my laptop with no problems at all.



Can I buy an converter for my american power strip and use it in china?

if the device was made in for say taiwan, china, or japan it will probably have written on it ac input 110-220 if it doesnt have it written on it it will need a converter



Can I buy an converter for my american power strip and use it in china?

Not a "strip", but a power converter. They sell them at Radio Shack and Walmart. There maybe laws about bringing a computer into the country though. They have serious internet laws there BTW.



Can I buy an converter for my american power strip and use it in china?

A comment about the computer thing mentioned by Smelly Cat: go ahead and bring your computer to China, nobody will care. It's true that China has some weird laws but definitely not a law against bringing your computer. I live in China and I've been bringing my computer in every time I come back from somewhere. Also think about that China attracts a lot of business travellers and they usually bring their computer as well. So don't worry about this, just make sure you get a good adapter/converter so you won't fry your computer because of a crappy adapter/converter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Electric Scooter